This Privacy Notice applies to personal data (“information”) processed by Solaris Sailing School (“we” or “us”) as data controllers. It explains in detail the types of information we collect about you and how we use this information. Please read it carefully.
Any changes we may make to our Privacy Notice in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes.
Please read the following carefully to understand how we handle your information.
2. The information we may collect
2.1 Information you provide us
- Personal details, e.g. your name, date of birth, gender;
- Contact details, e.g. your address, email, phone number, mobile number, family members
- Next of kin
- Information about your identity, e.g. your nationality, passport information, photo ID, National Insurance number; and
2.2 Information we collect about you
- Communication records, e.g. email records of our communications with you;
- Your preferences, such as consents for marketing and other communications; ?
- Publicly available information, e.g. information made publicly available by you on websites such as Facebook or LinkedIn;
- Usage data, including information about how you use our products and services;
3. How we collect your information
We collect your personal information when you subscribe to our services, for example by filling in forms on our websites, by corresponding with us by telephone or email, or when you provide us copies of the documents required for us to confirm your identity. We may also collect your information when you interact with our websites.
3.1 Information from other sources
We may also receive your information from other third parties, such as:
- Our partners (companies that introduce you to us) ie travel agents
- Our customers – If they refer you to us or include you as an emergency contact
- Publicly available online sources, such as company websites, social networks and company registries.
3.2 Information you provide about other people
If you provide us with personal information about another person, we ask that you inform them of our identity and the purposes for which their information will be processed.
4. How we use your information
We will only use your information under the following circumstances:
- When it is necessary to fulfil our contract with you
Some of the information we process is required for us to provide you with our services. For example we require your DOB in order to issue an RYA certificate.
- When we are under legal obligation
- Where we have obtained your consent
In specific situations, we will collect and process your information with your consent, e.g. when you tick a box to receive marketing material from us, or ask us to contact you about our products and services.
We will always make it clear to you what you are consenting to and what information is necessary for our services. If you have given consent to the use of your personal information, you are entitled to withdraw this consent at any time.
- Where we have a legitimate interest
Sometimes, we use your personal information to pursue our legitimate business or commercial interests in a way you might reasonably expect. For example, we may use photos taken during our courses to help promote our services on our website. We will not rely on our own legitimate interests without first considering your own rights, freedoms or interests, which we hold in the highest regard.
Some of our legitimate interests include:
- Carrying out marketing activities;
- Communicating with you about our products and services;
- Improving our products, services, and relationships with you;
- Create a smoother customer service experience;
- Monitor complaints handling;
- Improve our websites to ensure that content is well presented for you;
5. How we share your information
We only share your personal information under the following circumstances:
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with a legal obligation;
- In order to conduct necessary background checks on you before offering our products and services;
- To assist the authorities in any legitimate investigations
- In order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions and other agreements;
- To protect the rights, property, or safety of our customers, or others;
- Where we have a legitimate business interest that is not overridden by your own rights and freedoms
- Where we have obtained your consent.
Entities that we may share your information with include:
- Our partners (companies that introduce you to us)
6. International Transfers and Security
We may be required to transfer your information to countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”), e.g. if we are obliged to report to foreign authorities, or when your information is processed by one of our suppliers under our instruction. In these cases, there will be a contract in place to make sure the recipient protects the information to the same standard as the EEA. We also implement strict procedures and security features to ensure that your information is transferred securely in line with the standards set out in the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
7. How long we store your information
We only retain your information for the period necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was originally processed.
8. Your rights
You may request access to the information we hold about you by making a Subject Access Request.
You may request that we destroy, delete or discontinue using your personal information when it is no longer necessary for the purpose we originally collected it.
You may request that we stop processing your information when you contest its accuracy or the lawfulness of the processing.
You may ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal information that we hold about you.
Under certain circumstances, you may ask us to provide a copy of your information to another organisation in a structured, machine-readable format.
- Withdrawing consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your information, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw your consent.
- Legitimate interests
In cases where we are processing your information on the basis of our legitimate interests, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation.
We will do so unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your information. Please bear in mind that if you do object, this may affect our ability to provide you with some of our services.
You have the right to stop our use of your information for direct marketing activities through all channels, or selected channels. You always have the opportunity to opt-out, and we will always comply with your request.
To do so, click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any email communication we send to you to notify us that you would like us to stop.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further information, including contact details, is available at https://ico.org.uk
10. Submitting a request
Phone: +34 683 579 935