This Day Skipper sail-training course is for individuals with a little yachting experience and basic navigation and sailing skills that want to be able to take charge as skipper over short passages. During the five-day practical course you will be given full responsibility at the helm for the crew and navigation with the instructor on hand at all times to provide advice and encouragement and to ensure your safety. This practical course can be supplemented with the Day Skipper theory course either side of the practical week with 2 days classroom-based theory in navigation beforehand and afterwards. At the end of a successful course you may also be eligible for an International Certificate of Competence (ICC).
Day Skipper is all about learning to take charge of a small cruising yacht – one you might wish to bareboat charter with your new ICC qualification. We start in Port Andratx, preparing the boat for sea, engine checks, setting and reefing sails and close quarters manoeuvring. After some passage planning, we head off, around the coast to arrive in a new port, or a secluded anchorage, at least once after dark, practicing all the course content on the way. All the time you’re assessed by your instructor who will help you overcome any weak points and build your confidence as a skipper. We need to cover the Day Skipper course content, but there’s always time for a quick swim over lunch at anchor in one of the stunning bays we have on our doorstep. Our purpose is to inspire your next sailing adventure Please note that all marina fees, where incurred, will be split between guests.
Day Skipper ticket to freedom
Imagine being capable and confident enough to take your friends and family out on a yacht for a day, a weekend or even on holiday. RYA Day Skipper is a qualification which enables you to safely take charge of a 30-45ft sail cruising yacht and its crew by day in familiar waters. There’s no getting away from it – passing involves some work, some practice and some dedication. But RYA Day Skipper is your ticket to freedom. It shows charter companies that you have enough knowledge and practical experience to take their vessels out safely.
- Minimum age 16, 5 days, 100 miles, 4 night hours on board a sailing yacht, Assumed knowledge in basic navigation and helmsmanship, It is recommended you attend the Day Skipper shore-based course beforehand
- RYA Day Skipper Handbook
BRING WITH YOU ON THE DAY
- Waterproof clothing, Sunscreen
- Duration: 5 days (standard) or 9 days (extra)
- Preparation for sea, Deck work, Navigation, Pilotage, Meteorology, Rules of the road, Maintenance and repair work, Engines, Victualing, Emergency situations, Yacht handling under power, Yacht handling under sail, Passage making, Night cruising
- The Day Skipper Sail Practical (Non-Tidal) Certificate is awarded on successful completion
- At the end of this course you can also include the one-day VHF/DSC Marine Radio course. Note that sail training courses taken in the Mediterranean are classified as non-tidal. Start and finish time: 09.30 to variable
- Please contact us with the dates you would like to do this course and we will try to arrange this for you